What is a web browser?
A web browser is a software application that is used to locate, retrieve and display searched results on the World Wide Web (WWW). This results includes web pages, videos, audios, images srt files among other files. The browser acts a client that is run on a computer that contacts the Web server and requests the information you as the “boss” searched for. The web server then sends the information to the web browser which it displays on the screen of the device you used. You have to have an internet connection in order to use a web browser.
Modern browsers are very convenient and can interpret and display anything that is hosted on web servers. This browsers can display multimedia information. This means that the browsers can be used on activities such as videoconferencing, design web pages, add filters to your search and add other security features to the browser.
A web browser is made of well structure codes which together performs all the tasks necessary to display search results on your screen.
A web browser should be able to load web pages quickly regardless of how complicated the search is. They should also be able to load videos and graphic images without taking much of your time.
Components of a browser
- The user interface. The user interface is the space reserved for you to interact with the browser. This includes the search bar, home button, back and next buttons, and bookmark option among other necessary things.
- The browser engine. The browser engine is the bridge between the user interface and the rendering engine. It queries and influence the rendering engine according to the things a user searched for.
- The rendering engine. This is the part of the browser that is responsible for surrendering the results of your search on the screen of the device you are using. It interprets HTML, XML documents and images that are formatted using cascading style sheet (CSS). CSS allows websites to determine device type, screen size and the capabilities your browser. The rendering engine then displays the results on your screen.
- Networking. This is the component of the browser that retrieves the universal resource locater (URL) using hypertext transfer protocol (HTTP). This component of the browser handles all the parts of internet commutations and security. Networking component sometimes implement a cache of search results in order to reduce network traffic.
- UI Backend. This is the component responsible for drawing basic widgets like windows.
- Data storage. All browsers have a storage mechanism that is responsible for managing user data like cache, cookies, bookmarks and preferences. The storage mechanisms that are mostly supported by browsers are for example, WebSQL, indexedDB, and filesystem.
It is important to note that the basic function of a web browser is to display your search results as fast as possible. The web browsers are also supposed to offer your secure browsing.
It is also important to make sure you are using an up to date browser. An up to date browser offers you more security.
You should also know that it is not a crime trying a couple of different browsers. This way you will find the best browser perfect for you. There are many available browsers. Let us take a look on some of the best web browsers available in the market.
- Opera. Opera has been in the market since 1996. Opera also provides a mobile web browser commonly known as opera mini. It can run on windows, android or iOS. In addition to that it can also run on most java-capable devices. It is one of the most used mobile phone web browser.
- Firefox. Mozilla Firefox is one of the most successful we browser in the world. It is available for PC, android and iOS. It is known for fast page loads, quick navigation and secure browsing. It is often referred to as the best web browser in the world.
- Safari. Developed in 2003, safari has gradually become the most used web browser for Mac OS X. it has fast speeds. Safari has been made a default browser on Mac. It is also the primary browser on iPhone, iPad and iTouch.
- Google chrome. Since it was developed in 2008, google chrome has taken over the market. It uses the same search engine as safari which provides you with faster speeds. It is available for PC and android phones. Google chrome has been proven to have the best speed in loading pages. It also offer secure browsing.
- UC browser. It is among the most used mobile web browser. It is available for android users and it can also be used in some java enabled phones.
This list is just a random pick and not a ranking of the browsers from best to worst.