What is Instagram?
Instagram is a social media platform used for sharing photos, videos and socializing. Just like most social media platforms, people who create an Instagram account have a profile and a newsfeed.
On Instagram, when you post a photo or video, it will be seen on your profile. Your followers will see the post in their newsfeed and you will also see their posts. The platform is like a simplified Facebook. It also enables you to interact with other users by following them and vice versa, liking, tagging and sending them a private message.
This app was acquired by Facebook in 2012 and it has seen become one of the most popularly used social media platforms. Instagram can be used on iPhone, iPad, Android devices and computer. However, on the computer, users can only upload and share photos via their devices.
Prior to using the Instagram app, Instagram will ask you to create a free account which you can sign up through your existing Facebook account or email. All you need to create the account is a username and password. You can also follow some of your Facebook friends on Instagram . Your profile must look good by adding your name, photo, short bio and a website link if you have one. All these are necessary so people can know useful details about you before following you.
How to Use Instagram for Business
Instagram is a wide networking system with over 700 million active users monthly. It has a more engaged audience than other social media platforms like Twitter or Facebook.
This provides businesses with the opportunity to reach a more targeted and massive audience. As of January 2018, Instagram’s API changed to allow users to publish photos and videos on an Instagram Business Profile using a third party platform. This has made it easier for brands to market themselves and grow their business.
However, not everyone knows how to use Instagram for their business. Below are 5 step guides to using Instagram for Business:
- Be Creative in Showing what you do
The best thing to do when marketing is to focus on the solution you provide and not the products you sell. Your most important asset and doom on this social media platform is visual content. So, if you are trying to sell your product, you need to look pretty while doing it.
It is very important to show people the process of making the service you are selling instead of just displaying the service. You can also upload Boomerangs (short videos up to one minute) about your product.
- Use Instagram Stories
This has a slide-show format and a story can only last for 24 hours (though they can be saved in your device).
Stories are usually displayed at the top of your followers’ timeline, just below the Instagram logo. It can be used to capture behind the scene contents and makes it easy to use different content types.
You can tag other accounts to your story, use face filters and other fun items to spice up your story and also use story search for hashtags and locations. This will allow your products reach a large audience on Instagram and increase your sales.
- Utilize #hashtags
This will aid you to expand your reach. Hashtags make it easier for people to quickly see your main account after a brief search.
It is best to use 3-5 hashtags per post to avoid overcrowding. This will help you market your brand to people who will in turn have other people to show, the chain keeps going on and on.
- Use @mention others frequently
While marketing your business, you can collaborate with people by mentioning them in your post. This will interest them to repost for you and increase your brand.
- Create a standard Profile
Creating a good business profile is the first call of attraction to potential customers. You need to make your bio brief and captivating to entice people to want more of your brand. Your profile picture too should advertise your brand. If you have all these, then your brand is standard enough to draw customers close to you.
Instagram Business Ideas
You already know how to use Instagram to market your own business, but do you know that you can also use it to build an entire business?
Here are some business ideas you can start on Instagram:
- Instagram Manager: You can earn money by working with brands to be their social media manager. All you need to do is to post things for them on Instagram.
- Affiliate Marketer: Your Instagram account or story can be utilized to share affiliate links to brands’ products and services and you can earn wages for sale.
- Photographer: This social media platform is a great site for photographers to build a business. If you are an event photographer, you can share your pictures, alongside your email address in your bio. This will allow clients contact you for business.
- Fashion Blogger: You can do this by sharing pictures of your clothes or working with clothing brands as their social media influencer.
- Food Blogger: You can sell food items indirectly by offering recipes or work with food brands to be their online influencer.
- Makeup Artist: Instagram is a platform where you can post pictures of your works and put a description in your bio for customers’ to book for your services.
- Graphic Designer: You can use Instagram to display your work to enable people contact you for business.
- Musician: Posting videos of yourself singing, playing music on Instagram is now one of the fastest means to get a connection that will help you become successful at what you do.
- Comedian: Through funny videos, pictures, quotes, you can get your own customers to call you for shows via Instagram.
- Brand Ambassador: You can post useful things about a brand and make extra money from the brands.
There are so many creative businesses you can do on Instagram if you are not lazy to do the job. With social media platforms like this in the world, you do not have any excuse for not having money. So, start making that money, now!