What is copywriting?
Copywriting is the process of writing advertising promotional materials.
A copywriter is simply the person who does copywriting. Copywriters usually create informative content for businesses.
What does a copywriter do?
Before we dive into what a copywriter do we should first clear the air about some of things that lead to confusion when it comes to copywriting. There are those who think that to become a copywriter you need to a lot of experience in advertising. You should know that not all copywriters are advertising copywriters. You don’t need experience to become a copywriter. Some of copywriters I know live with their parent and are still very young. Another thing you should understand is that medical copywriters have their own niche. As for medical copywriter you should at least have some experience in the field of medicine. Some people often confuse copywriting with copyrighting. You should know that copywriting has nothing to do with copyrighting. Copyrighting is the process of ensuring something you own has patent rights.
Being a copywriter is beyond definition. The only thing that makes all the copywriters the same is that they get to work with words on daily basis. Now let us look at some of the things a copywriter do.
- Writing is a must for any copywriter. What makes you a copywriter is writing. All copywriters write on daily bases.
- If you want to become a copywriter you must be ready to do a lot of research. You cannot be possibly know everything, so if you are going a copywriter you must be ready to research.
- Interview is a method of research. You have to interview some people to get information to write.
- If you want to become a copywriter you must be ready to proofread. You will proofread your content and also other people’s content. Proofreading comes hand in hand with copywriting.
- Manage projects. As a copywriter you will sometimes be required to manage projects. This projects will obviously be about copywriting. To be able to manage projects you have to be a successful copywriter.
- Plan and implement marketing campaigns.as by the definition copywriters write advertising and promotional materials. You should be able to take part in planning marketing campaigns.
To become a successful copywriter you must understand that writing is not the only skill you need. Actually successful copywriters use most of their time researching and editing. You have to be creative with words to create unique content.
You can make a lot of money by becoming a freelance copywriter. You can make money by uploading information on your own website or you can join the available freelancing companies. If you want to become a successful freelance copywriter, I have some tips which I believe will help you make some money.
- You should always prioritize on information. Human beings sometimes find it hard or boring to pay keen attention to details. You should always keep that in mind if you want to become a successful freelance copywriter. Make sure to position your main points in a way that it will attract the reader’s attention. Bold it to begin with, make it short and informative. After a reader has liked the main point he/she will be interested in reading everything. If you do this you will attract many people to read your content.
- Make sure that you use keywords and bold them. Emphasis on key words makes a reader know if you are providing the information he/she wants to read. Most people are not interested in reading all of your content. Bolding keywords helps a reader scan through your document.
- Remove extra words. Always make sure that you don’t use wordy sentences. Some copywriters use too much words which discourages one from reading your article. There is always a way you can mean the same thing using lesser words. Make sure to use the shortest sentences.
- Go direct the point. Don’t beat around the bush. People don’t have the time to read through your long documents. They don’t need your many explanations, they know what they are looking for. Go direct to the point and everybody wins. It will also mean lesser typing for you.
- Make sure you have one idea per paragraph. You should learn how writing and design work together. This way you will be able to have proportional balance of text and images.
- Give readers quality. Make sure to deliver quality instead of quantity. A small quality article will always win the hearts of the readers.
- Have SEO skills. SEO skills is a must have if you want to earn money through freelance copywriting. This will help you understand the right keywords to use.
- If it is possible replace descriptions with images. It is much easier for a reader to look at and image and understand your point. Describing using words sometimes makes the article dull and boring. Use images to attract more readers.
- Avoid grammar mistakes.
- Make honest titles. The title is the first thing a reader reads. If the content is not based on the title then it will lead to disappointment.